Jon Jones appears to have given up hope for a future bout Online Cigarettes Store USA with Francis Ngannou.
Jones, in a series of tweets Thursday, said he was in negotiations with the UFC about a future fight. Less than an hour later, things took a different turn.
The UFC wasn’t willing to pay him more to jump up to heavyweight for the fight Newport Pleasure against Ngannou, Jones said. So, he’s walking away.
At one point it even sounded like he was done fighting for good, though he later walked those comments back.
Jones and Ngannou have been feuding on Twitter this week about a potential fight. Jones, the light heavyweight champion, has talked about moving to heavyweight for years now. He even hinted at doing so for a fight against Spite Miocic last year, but that never came to fruition.
Jones also had a win under his belt this year, having defended his light heavyweight title by beating Dominick Reyes via unanimous decision at UFC 247 in February. The 32-year-old hasn’t lost in more than a decade, with the only smudge on his resume being a no-contest after testing Newport Cigarettes Shop positive for turinabol against Daniel Cormier at UFC 214 in 2017.
A fight between the two would be entertaining, to say the least.
Apparently, negotiations have gone south. It may be quite some time before that fight is locked down, if it happens at all.